January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Wednesday 6 February 2008

Gardners are Suckers

There is no doubt that gardeners are suckers for something new and exciting. Even though my T&T order was creeping close to the 200 dollar mark, (see list below) I fell in love with a tall grass described in Manitoba Gardener.

First let me explain that the Manitoba Gardener Magazine (available in the public library) is a good resource for Thunder Bay gardeners. I believe if a plant can survive winter in Winnipeg, it can survive in Thunder Bay.

The grass is called Calamagrostis x acutiflora or Karl Foerster. (or feather reed grass for the latin challenged.) The article hit all my weak spots with the use of the following words: over six feet tall, low maintenance, no staking, no over winter protection required, long living, does not spread by seed, a sure bet to please. Please! I’ll take it.

I grew a few ornamental grasses from seed a couple of years ago but they were insignificant squibs. I like drama in my tiny garden. A tall feathery waving thing at the back of the sun garden – what sounds better? T&T provides roots at $7.50 each and the article advises to plant in groups of five. Yikes! I’m considering spending 40 bucks for grass? Yes, I am. “A vertical masterpiece, “ says the catalogue. I melt.

I usually do not buy plants by mail order. I prefer to see the plant first and we have excellent nurseries here in Thunder Bay. As well, there are three or four reliable growers selling at Saturday morning yard sales. The few times I have bought plants by mail, Iplanted then in a pot first just to get them started away from the wild competition in the perennial beds. Once they come on strong, into the chosen spot they go. I will follow this procedure with the feather reed grass.

Speaking of money in the garden, the price of seeds is higher this year. Comparing this year’s and last year’s T&T and Stokes catalogue, I find increases of ten cents a pack here, thirty cents a pack there. I wonder why?

No comments: