January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Friday 27 June 2008

The Neglected Garden

This is the first June I have left my flower garden for so long - three weeks! What a jungle it is out there! Everyone tells me it rained and rained while I was away but my garden thrived except in the areas that sat in puddles. The soil is still heavy with water

Today, I started on the weeds. Grass is the main culprit, sprinting up to seed through the iris and the arabis. I am not only weeding but adding compost as mulch as I move through the beds.

The yellow rose I planted last year is showing buds for the first time but! the buds are pink. Instead of a Harrison Yellow regosa, I think I have a mislabeled Hansa. I do not blame the nursery for mislabelled plants. I think customers sometimes lift the labels to read them and then put them back in the wrong pot.

An article in the New York Times states that flowering plants thrive when growing in groups rather than set off out their own. Plants like their own kind. When set beside unfamiliar neigbouring plants, they put out chemical signals that say "go away." This process uses precious energy. Most garden books suggest planting perennials in groups of three or five but plants feel at home and thrive in larger groupings.

I find this interesting. Last year I planted a cluster of columbine, seven or eight in one area. I had the best columbine ever. Was it because they were happy together? Maybe I have a clue to my poor luck with astilbe. I bought one plant a couple of years ago and it has not expanded or plumped up. It has a forlorn appearance. Perhaps, it hates to be alone. If I had an astilbe group, would I get a better show? I definitely think hostas like to be together. The most beautiful hostas I have ever seen were at the Montreal Botanical Garden where they were clustered along paths in a shady garden.

Tip. if you are on River Street, take a look at the elegant plantings at Westminister United Church, corner of Madeline and River across from A&P. A beautiful row of bridal wreath spirea lines the walk, all in wondrous bloom. This Thunder Bay favourite has never looked so lovely.

No comments: