January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Sunday 4 January 2009

Seeds again

Another free catalogue arrives. This one is from Lindenberg Seeds, 803 Princess AV, Brandon, Manitoba R7A 0P5. This catalogue is notable for its large selection of vegetables and flowers. Everything northern is here including the fine pie pumpkin "Sugar", the fast growing Sugar Baby Watermelon and other quick growers that we must have in Northwestern Ontario. On page 86, they give their picks for the best and hardiest varieties for the prairies and, as we all know, if it can grow in Manitoba, it can grow here. The list includes such stalwarts as Detroit Dark Red Beets, Nantes Carrots, and Homesteader Peas. They offer the entire list of 20 varieties on sale for $28.95 regular $32.32, a super deal. I'm buying the package.

Meanwhile the amaryllis are just starting. Christmas tree out to the recyclers and Amaryllis in flower to brighten the winter. I had no luck with my poinsettia this Christmas. It seemed peaky from the time I brought it home from the A&P. The leaves drooped and dropped off. I put it in the sun but it just curled up the more. It is sitting in the snow. If I could get out to the compost, I'd toss it in. One more snow fall and I may lose sight of the compost entirely.

No comments: