January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Thursday 3 July 2008

MARTHA STEWARD DIVIDES AN IRIS

I like Martha and I’ve picked up a lot of good info from the gardening portion of her show. However, a few years back, my eyes goggled when she demonstrated dividing an iris.

She put a garden fork under the iris and out it popped. She placed the plant on one side and gently pulled in it into sections using two garden forks. I gave the TV screen a raspberry.

What wussy iris they have in New England!

The Thunder Bay Siberian iris in my garden never let go without a death grip struggle. First you cannot dig them up – don’t even try unless you have a front end loader handy.

To break off a chunk of iris I have used the following: two hefty grandsons, a tough pruning saw, an ax and wedge and, for the Kaministiquisa iris, a chain saw. The process is messy, sweat inducing and full of bad language.

Still and all, they are fabulous garden plants and I have several varieties blooming madly. When the blooms die down, I will martial the troops, have the gin and tonic handy, and charge in to the fray.

No comments: