January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Friday 4 July 2008

My List of the Five Worst Garden Pests

1. The mosquito. The worst year ever. The peonies and lilacs send out heavenly scents but I can only smell my perfume, Eau de Off. Sometimes I wear Minuit de Muskol.

2. Cats. They eat the birds, dig holes and use the beds as a litter box. Usually, they are my number 1 pest but, this year, the mosquito surpasses them for pestiness. I have a beautiful Siamese cat hanging out early in the morning and a black and white big kitty comes along from time to time. If I get them, they go to the pound.

3. Wild life. – Bears, deer, skunks, ground hogs and other denizens of Thunder Bay. The magazine Organic Gardener usually contains many letters on how to control these pests. One gardener out in the country leaves a radio playing in the garden day and night. She swears this deters the deer.

4. The slug. I use Safer’s Slug pellets and coffee sprinkled around the target plants such as hostas and pansies.

5. Neighbours who play music so loud you can’t read in the garden. Unfortunately no applications of Off or Slug Pellets work. I usually put on Luciano Pavrotti at top volume. This seems to do the trick.

Hint: if you are driving out to Sleeping Giant Park or Silver Islet, stop at Karen's Kitchen Restaurant and check out her garden. Her rock garden is especially nice. (food is good too).

No comments: