January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Monday 29 September 2008

PUTTING THE GARDEN TO BED

Yesterday was a wonderful day to work in the garden. Every warm and sunny day is precious now. As I puttered about the white-throated sparrows sang their autumn song composed of a few faint whistles quite diferent from the spring song of I-love-Ca-na-da,Ca-na-da, Ca-na-da. The autumn song is a faint echo but like many Canadians the white throats will spend the winter in warmer places.

I cleaned pots and boxes and planted the Orienpet lilies deep in a spot near the patio. All summer they grew in a big planter box and produced large flower heads. But as pot plants they were not entirely successful. They leaned this way and that and the blooms were down facing so you could not really see them unless you were close enough to peek under the petals. I have to think what to put into the big cedar box next year.

I see the lavatera is about finished for the year but the tiny lemon gem marigolds bloom magnificantly on. The tall nicotania is really coming into its own now. A spindly plant all summer, it sprang into bloom about a month ago and still carries on. This old fashioned variety sports thin white trumpet shaped flowers. During the summer, I vowed never to plant it again but now I am rethinking.

In spite of he heavy rain of a few days ago, the compost in the black composter was dry. The lid keeps out rain and that does not encourage what we want - i.e. rot. The lid comes off for the season.

A friend in the country cut down her lovely apple tree. Every year it was attacked by a bear who left behind broken branches and no apples. In the city the apples attract the apple maggot fly and in the country, bears.

This year I bought grand apples at the farmers' market, my favourite Saturday destination. And I am not alone. The place is jammed at the opening bell at 8 a.m. I got another basket of blueberries, perhaps the last of an excellent season.

No comments: