January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Monday 6 October 2008

Half a Frost

Last Thursday night, after a family dinner, I said good-bye to the garden. I walked around in the dark zero degree air and said good-bye to the big hosas, the cosmos, the lavatera, and the nicotania. The next morning I saw a half frosted garden.

It was interesting to note what survived and what lived. The plants close to the fence and the shed fared better than those exposed in the centre bed. The front yard was not touched at all nor was the side garden between two houses. But an area in the back a slight bit lower that the main section was badly hit. Usually the hostas are most susceptible to frost but this year it was the cosmos.

Today I pulled out black cosmos. They were the biggest and toughest cosmos I have ever grown. Many plants were over 6 feet tall with stalks like small trees. I also continued weeding and emptying pots. I empty pots the easy way by pulling out the plants and then tipping the pot into the garden and spreading the soil among the perennials. This is easier than shovelling into a wheel barrow etc.

No comments: