January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Friday 18 April 2008

MEANWHILE DOWN IN THE BASEMENT…

All the seeds are planted, even the bouncy canary vine. I grow this annual to cover the back shed. It leaps up the net and in July puts out a mass of starry yellow flowers. Years ago, I grew sweet peas in the same spot. However, after I placed a perennial bed in front of the shed, the sweet peas sulked. Sweet pea does not like to be planted behind other plants – it wants all the sun for itself! I now grow it in the back lane as a cutting flower. I have also grown morning glory against the shed. Morning Glory ‘Heavenly Blue” is surely the most beautiful of the climbing annuals but oh, how it shrivels in a frost. Too heartbreaking if we have a late May frost.

I have started a few vegetables. My vegetable plot is very small so I put a few seeds in six inch pots and set them in zip locks until the seeds germinate. I grow a few plants each of squash, zucchini and cucumber. No pumpkin this year. I still have lots in the freezer. I also grow corn. (more about my funny little veggie garden later).

I now have twelve shop lights up and running for 16 hours a day. The warm back porch is full of things germinating, or I hope that is what they are doing.

No comments: