January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Tuesday 1 April 2008

Crocos and cosmos

Today at Vanderwees I met Louise Kondakow, who writes the Optimistic Gardener column in Thunder Bay Seniors newspaper. Louise talked me into buying some crocosmia bulbs, red ones called Lucifer. I have never tried these but hey - what can go wrong with such a recommendation? I'll put all ten in the pack into a big pot in the front yard.

Seven Reasons I Plant Lots of Cosmos:
1) I give away a lot of cosmos plants
2) Cosmos seeds are cheap like borscht
3) Cosmos seeds are large and easy to start indoors
4) Cosmos does not have to be staked
5) Bugs do not like it.
6) Cosmos blooms in August when many perennials are finished and carries the garden to the frost.
7) Cosmos dances in the wind but does not break
In short, cosmos is an unparalleled garden flower.

I am referring to the tall cosmos, not the short orange/yellow variety which looks completely different from the tall types. The tall cosmos produces open flowers in the pink range with some white and a few dark wine. The leaves are lovely ferny things.

Although it looks delicate, cosmos is one tough plant, the toughest annual in the garden. It can be planted behind perennials and it still will grow. Few annuals can do that. It gives no quarter. I plant cosmos in a swath in front of a bed of lily of the valley and this root-spreading lily does not cross. Without cosmos I would be drowning in lily of the valley.

I plant it both in full sun and partial shade and it does not seem to notice. One day last summer on a garden walk around Current River, I saw a hedge of cosmos, a line planted three or four deep all dancing. Fantastic garden moment!

1 comment:

northshorewoman said...

Hi Joan,

If you get those Devil's Crocosimas to bloom, please let me know the trick. I have planted those devilish bulbs for 2 years, tried different spots, but have not had any luck seeing Lucifer appear. No red flowers, only greenery.

hmmm.