January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Sunday 23 January 2011

The Sunflower Massacre

Sunflowers.  I never had great luck with sunflowers until last summer.  Previously, I'd planted them in my very dry front yard, but they did not grow well.  It was surprising because when I lived in Kaminisitiquia, I always planted a row of sunflowers along the edge of the vegetable garden and they grew very well. 

But last year, I bought Russian Giant, the biggest variety, started them inside and set out small plants in the back lane, a spot in full sun beside an 8 foot fence.  They were magnificent.  Many were twelve feet in height.  When they started to lean into the lane, I tied them to the fence.  The stalks were hollow but strong and woody, about an inch and a half in diameter.  It was like tying up a tree. The plan was to leave them tied to the fence and let the birds feed from the seeds all winter.

I also planted zucchini seeds at the feet of the sunflowers.  These grew out into the lane and produced more zucchini than expected -many more. I was begging people to take them away.

However, tragedy. In September, my neighbour chain sawed all the sunflowers down.  He thought that was what I wanted.  Luckily I got a few pictures. I'll try again this summer, same variety,Russian Giant, same fence.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,


I was searching for Russian Giant Sunflower and lo and behold, I saw your site! I was born and raised in Thunder Bay, and am very happy to see you!

Andy E said...

Hi Joan,
Thanks for your post we have a giant sunflower growing in our backyard, it is very similar to the ones in your pictures, although self seeded so I have no sure knowledge of its type, Maybe it's a Giant Russian?
Thanks from South Australia