January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Sunday 30 January 2011

Tasks for a Cold Winter Day


What to do on a cold cold winter day?  Clean the basement of course.  I will not be starting my seeds down there until April, but nevertheless, the big tables have become cluttered.  (What to do with all the damn books!)  Nevertheless, I start the clearing process - put away the camping and fishing gear and books! and get ready to put up the shop lights. 

On the computer, (Microsoft Word file) I make a list of seeds and seed starting information.  Each type has its own protocol.  Some germinate in the dark; others need light.  Some need heat and some cool.  In a home growing situation, one does the best one can.  I use the information I have collected over the years and the information in the seed packet. I note here the seed packet info is often vague or just plain wrong.  For instance I start most seeds inside even though the packet says "plant outside as soon as the soil is warm."  I want my flowers fast, not in August.  The only seeds I plant outside are nasturtiums.  I tack the list to the wall of the back basement room and I put up the calender with the start dates marked.

What else to do on a cold winter day?  Toss out the hyacinth and iris blooming from the bulbs I planted in October.  Put the amaryllis in the cold room. Water the house plants and give each on a quarter turn. Read my book in the heated back porch and watch the finches, sparrows, chickadees and starlings, and big black squirrel attack the feeders.

Last fall, I set out newspapers on a patch of lawn beside a garden bed.  I shovelled compost onto the papers and in this way, the turf is broken down and a new section of garden can be created.  But what to put here? I am very partial to giant hosta.  I have a huge hosta bullying its way under the Explorer Roses.  The giants are not easy to find but this year, T&T advertises Empress Wu Giant Hosta. Mmm. On the other hand, hostas attract slugs and then they look raggedy unless I constantly strew coffee grounds all around them.  Maybe another rose?  Or a hydrangea?

No comments: