January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Thursday 20 March 2008

Planting Geraniums

Geraniums require warmth to germinate says the seed packet, This is the first time I have grown geraniums. The packet suggests starting the seed on moist paper towels but I find coffee filters better - they do not fray apart. I wet the filter with warm water, squeeze it out and sprinkle the seed on a third of the circle and fold it in half and then into a cone shape. I put the filter into a ziplock and on the shelf in my heated back porch. The impatiens and lobelia in their flats are out there too. Geraniums are quick to germinate, it sez here. I plant only three packs, two shades of pink and a white. There are only a few seeds in a pack.

No comments: