January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Saturday 15 March 2008

Starting the Seeds at Last!

The season has started! On March 10, I planted two flats of impatiens (elfin blend) seeds. These are dwarf plants of mixed colours for the shade garden. March 15, I planted one flat of Crystal Blue Lobelia.

I use Pro Mix to start seeds. The Pro-mix I bought this year from Creekside (about 25$ a bale) has a wetting agent and MYCORISE, the new star of the garden. This is a beneficial fungus that works in symbiosis with the roots of the plant, taking sugar from the roots and increasing the plant's acquisition of nutrients and water - or that's the plan anyway. Some readers might have bought the stuff called MYKE which is basically the same thing. I used MYKE when I planted my tulips in the fall of 2006 and I had a good year in 2007 so I am sort of sold but not entirely. There is no scientific way to tell if my success was due to MYKE but I am going to try this new style pro-mix and, as usual, hope for the best.

Years ago I tried starting seeds in soil but found it compacted too much. Sterile potting soil is also expensive. I have even heard of people sterilizing garden soil in the oven - work, work and what a mess! The pro-mix planting medium is the answer. I usually use two bales a season. I recycle the pro-mix, more about this later.

I plant in plastic flats that have holes in them for drainage. The seed flat is placed inside another without holes. This underflat will catch the water. Over the top, goes a clear plastic cover. Most of my plastic containers have been used for years and a lot of them are held together with duct tape. When my supply of plastic flats and covers run out, I have some sneak ways of creating substitutes that I will mention in another post.

I mix the Pro-mix with warm water (I have a unscientific belief that seeds do better in warm water). I use a big plastic tub and mix with my gloved hands and then fill the flats about three quarters of an inch from the top. There has to be room for watering as the growing plants push up the soil. Using a waterproof felt marker, I note the name of the plant and date on a label and stick it in one corner of the flat. Don't make the labels too tall, an inch or an inch and a half is enough. Tall labels catch on edges as the flats are moved around and they may fall out. I cut up old venetian blinds for labels but I have also made labels out of any firm plastic such as strips cut from plastic cups. I do not like commercial labels; they are too tall and cost $.

Watch for the next post - mistakes I have made over the years trying to start seeds.

No comments: