January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Tuesday 27 May 2008

Fighting the Freeze

Ice coated the birdbaths at 6 this morning when I got up to see how my planted annuals fared in the below-freezing temperatures. After gardening at this address for nineteen years, I know which areas are most susceptible to frost and which areas ride it out. I know the front yard is the warmest and the north west corner of the back yard the coldest. Even one degree can make a difference. Usually the highest elevations are warmer than lower. So I started spraying water on the plants in the vulnerable areas. I removed the pots, pans and even two waste paper baskets I had put over the bigger plants. I pulled off the space blankets (survival blankets) that I had spread around last night using rocks, tools and any damn thing to hold them flat from the wind. I took a break and came out and sprayed the flower beds again, this time doing the front garden as well. Later, just after sun rise, I sprayed again.

The results. All the annuals that were covered survived well, even the geraniums. Plants with big flat leaves like geraniums are the most susceptible to frost so I'd been worried about them. The begonias which were covered with the wastepaper baskets did better than the one that got no covering at all. It will lose a few leaves, I'm afraid, but it will survive.

Some people cover with old bed sheets and this works well. Many years ago, when I lived in Kaministiquia, we covered vegetables with clear plastic but I would not recommend this practice. A bright dawn sun can burn the leaves through the plastic. Besides, plastic sheeting is awkward and heavy and flattens plants. A few years ago, I had a stroke of luck, a sale at Canada Tire of space blankets for a buck each. I bought ten. They have served me well. I also have an old row cover or frost cover and it protected the nicotania on the northwest corner. Plants by a house will survive a frost better than those in the open garden. So, new gardeners, I suggest you watch carefully in the fall to see where the frost hits first. This knowledge could save your garden.

No comments: