January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Friday 30 May 2008

WHAT A WEEK

Two nights of below zero, two evenings covering my annuals, two dawn forays to water away the frost and then, the reward--two fabulous days of paradise. Only the geraniums and one begonia were badly frost damaged. They are alive but addled looking.

This is the time of year for plant sales. I dropped into the Labour Centre last Tuesday to check out the sale for the Arthritis Society. The usual perennial customers were there, the splits off the hardy plants of the city. If I were starting a perennial bed, I’d start with this kind of sale.

Ice cream pails held chunks of the golden orange day lily which nothing can kill. The dark purple bearded iris sat next to a row of goat’s beard, a great find for a new gardener. Pots of the world’s hardiest hosta, a green with white edges, took up one end of a table. Fifteen minutes after the doors opened, the stock was going fast. I was delighted to scoop up four columbine plants at 2$ each and a big shasta daisy for 6 bucks. These plants replace my winter losses. I was tempted by the lamium, a variegated creeping plant that makes great edges and the Virginia creeper.

Meanwhile in the garden. I’ve planted all the annuals. I’ve swept out the garden shed and hosed down the plastic trays and containers. The squash, zucchini and cucumber plants are sitting in the sun, ready to be planted after I arrange the weed barrier over the small area I call a vegetable garden. Nothing to do but get a book and a cup of tea and watch the birds. What a week!

TIP: check the yard sales listing in the newspaper for plant sales this weekend.

No comments: