January 2011

January 2011
photo: Joan Baril

Sunflowers, Russian Giant

Sunflowers, Russian Giant
Tallest about 12 foot high.

Monday 26 May 2008

THE MERCURY IN THE THERMOMETER”S SOCKS

We interrupt this discussion of cages and propping. It is cold out and supposed to get to minus 3 in the night. Emergency measures needed. I am putting a pot or cover over all the recently planted annuals. However, with this high wind, plastic flower pots may blow away. The perennials can fare for themselves. I carried all the flats of annuals into the shed and have hooked up a small heater which I will switch on at midnight. I’ll get up before dawn and water the entire garden to wash the frost off. That’s the plan and I’ll let you know the results. The sky is cloudy, a hopeful sign. When you get a clear sky and dropping temperatures, watch out.

No comments: